PRSI came into being as an informal body in 1958 with its headquarters in Mumbai. The genesis of the Society in Kolkata can be traced to 1965 when Sanest Lahiri, Shanker Mitres, R. P. Gupta, Prasanta Sanyal, J. M. Kaul and other pioneers of the profession formed a nucleus, known as the Public Relations Circle. However, this was formally merged with the national body in 1968 to strengthen the public relations movement on an all-India basis.